Monday, October 19, 2009

My Curvy Spine

Although this blog is primarily about my journey with Tietze's Syndrome, the whole reason why I have it is because of my scoliosis. I have a mild case of thoracic scoliosis, and although the curve in my back is not too significant, it is causing other things in my body to be "out of whack." One of those things is my rib cage. My sternum (according to CAT scan) is tilted to the side, causing the cartilage connecting my sternum and ribs to be squeezed together and inflammed. What do you get with inflammed costo cartilage? Bingo! Costochondritis.

I didn't know I had scoliosis until I was in 5th grade, and was told that it was no big deal and it wouldn't progress. Wrong! The doctor forgot to state the obvious: kids grow! And when they do, things change in their bodies. My scoliosis was definitely something that changed, and my doctor decided to forget about it and not mention it again until now, when I can't do anything about it. Had my scoliosis been treated when I was younger I probably wouldn't be in pain right now, or at least as much pain, and I wouldn't have had to go through all the anxiety of first thinking something was wrong with my heart, and now having to deal with the costo on a daily basis.

Scoliosis awareness is something very important to me, and I am currently planning some fundraisers for scoliosis awareness at my school. If kids understand scoliosis and what it can do, there will be less cases of severe scoliosis, and probably less cases of costochondritis.

1 comment:

  1. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!



    ReplyDelete